Negatives answer the question “how often? “. They’re used at the beginning of a statement to express emphasis.
· Not one
· Not once
· Not until
· Never again
· Only rarely
· Very seldom
- Auxiliary must agree with verbs and subject
- Avoid using a subject before the auxiliary in this pattern
- Maintain parallel structure
- This pattern will always use an auxiliary.
1. I will never see that bad movie.
Negative Emphasis : Never again will I see that bad movie.
2. Only rarely she has found people that she likes.
Negative Emphasis : Only rarely has she found people that she likes.
3. Not once I did doubt your loyalty.
Negative Emphasis : Not once did I doubt your loyalty.
4. I went to your house very seldom.
Negative Emphasis : Very seldom did I go to your house.
5. She comes to the doctor only rarely.
Negative Emphasis : Only rarely does she come to the doctor.